Pages

Tuesday 13 December 2016

About Germany

Facts about Germany:
Germany was the first country in the world to adopt Daylight saving time (DST), also known as summer time. This occurred in 1916 in the midst of WWI and was put in place to conserve energy. 

The capital of Berlin has more bridges than Venice – Berlin boasts 960 bridges and 59.8 square kilometers of water consisting of lakes and around 180 kilometers of navigable waterways. Combined with its surrounding state Brandenburg, it houses Europe's largest inland water network.

Prison escape is not punishable by law in Germany – German law maintains that it’s a basic human instinct to be free and therefore, prisoners have the right to escape jail. Escapes, however, rarely go unpunished because prisoners are held liable if they cause damage to property or inflict bodily harm against any individual upon their breakout.   



Why do I want to visit Germany? I want to visit Germany just to learn about there celebrations, history of their country and their language. I also want to go to Germany because they have the amazing river cruise on the Rhine and Maine. Also the city of Berlin is a wonderful place to go to, and the city of Hamburg. There national sports are football (soccer), golf, ice hokey, basketball, motor sport, handball and lastly skiing.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Danielle!

    I'm Mark, a teacher working for the summer learning journey these holidays. It is great to see that you have made a start on our programme, and even greater to see you have chosen Germany!

    My brother currently lives in Germany and I have visited as well! Did you know the Disney logo is based off one of the castles in Germany? I wonder if you can find out which one, and which movie it was in.

    I really have enjoyed reading your blog, you are a fantastic writer and I am really looking forward to reading more from you soon! I really like the facts you found already! I noticed that you skipped ahead to a day six activity, which is totally cool, especially since it's clear you love poetry, but what I might ask you to do is to make your titles something like this "SLJ Week 1, Day 1, Activity 1, 2, and 3" or whatever week or activity it is. This will help me find them and get those points allocated correctly.

    Have a great holiday and I will be looking forward to reading more from you very soon!

    Kia kaha!


    Mark

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.